Chat is broken

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chat is broken

It is very annoying when you enter a message in War Goonz chat only to have nobody else be able to see it, and after restarting the game to find it gone. Through trial and error we have worked out that this must be some kind of misguided censorship algorithm. If any word in your message is regarded as "bad", the whole message is never broadcast so others can't read it.

This wouldn't be so bad except you never know which messages didn't make it unless and until you restart the game, and the words that are chosen for censorship are often bizarre. For example, if someone put "I just attacked XXXXX's base", and you replied "So did you manage to crack it?", your reply wouldn't make it through because "crack" is a censored word, and so is "so" of all things! Then because your question didn't make it through, you would wonder why the other player didn't reply, and only later, if ever, would you realise your message was lost.

(It's clear that this is attempted censorship and not simply random lost messages because of the regularity of it. If anyone is in doubt, just send the message "so" in chat, restart, and confirm it's gone.)

It would be massively better if censored messages still made it through but with words redacted, say with asterisks. So the example message above would transmit as "**, did you manage to ***** it?". That way at least we would know when a message had been censored, and could moderate our messages accordingly.

Originally posted by Thrax View Post
    It is very annoying when you enter a message in War Goonz chat only to have nobody else be able to see it, and after restarting the game to find it gone. Through trial and error we have worked out that this must be some kind of misguided censorship algorithm. If any word in your message is regarded as "bad", the whole message is never broadcast so others can't read it.

This wouldn't be so bad except you never know which messages didn't make it unless and until you restart the game, and the words that are chosen for censorship are often bizarre. For example, if someone put "I just attacked XXXXX's base", and you replied "So did you manage to crack it?", your reply wouldn't make it through because "crack" is a censored word, and so is "so" of all things! Then because your question didn't make it through, you would wonder why the other player didn't reply, and only later, if ever, would you realise your message was lost.

(It's clear that this is attempted censorship and not simply random lost messages because of the regularity of it. If anyone is in doubt, just send the message "so" in chat, restart, and confirm it's gone.)

It would be massively better if censored messages still made it through but with words redacted, say with asterisks. So the example message above would transmit as "**, did you manage to ***** it?". That way at least we would know when a message had been censored, and could moderate our messages accordingly.
    Hi Thrax,

Thanks for sharing this issue with us! That's certainly a frustrating one to encounter, since you point out there's no real indication if a message has made it through. I'm sending this to our team to review to see how we can either better inform you when a message doesn't make it through, and possibly tune the underlying function of why these words are filtered.

Comment

Well stated Thrax. Additionally, I have seen chat disappear after being up for a while. Sometimes it reappears, sometimes it doesn't.

Comment

As leader pretty annoying as most my messages gone after exit game ..never know who sees it ..pretty hard to communicate

Comment

Working...
        X